Latest topics
» Clean up...
Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:48 pm by Dagnon

» May Day
Wed May 18, 2016 10:53 am by Rhoon

» Test game #1
Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:13 am by Wallace

» Rules
Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:05 am by Wallace

» Out of Thin Air
Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:46 pm by kabetts

» Kill Team Argentum
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:35 pm by Dagnon

» Vive la Resistance!
Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:01 am by Wallace

» Travel Companion: Dair Bronzehammer
Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:25 pm by Wallace

» Not all systems functional
Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:49 pm by Wallace


Out of Thin Air

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Dagnon on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:46 pm

"We have a destination." Ragnar said as he pointed out the circle area in the trees where the tower like structure was. "We had best be off, maybe we can even find warmer clothes to purchase there.." He said, his voice trailing off and he started to get excited.

This new area was foreign to him and his joy for exploring would have to be tempered by his duty to Roland. Once they started the day's hike it was time to converse further. "What do you guys think the smoke could be? A large city perhaps? Or maybe it is a lumber camp?"

Dagnon
D6
D6

Posts : 126
Join date : 2015-06-08
Age : 35
Location : Whitefish, MT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by kabetts on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:47 am

"Could be a forge. We're likely near at least one dwarven hold in these mountains. It's not likely a large city this far from any food sources. Well, unless it's Dwarves, I think they eat rocks."

kabetts
D6
D6

Posts : 113
Join date : 2015-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Wallace on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:28 am

With clear weather, it was much easier going than the day before as the three fellows went on theiri merry way to find out what was at the clearing. The snow was still thick but at lesat it wasn't blowing in their face this time around. Trudging through the pine forests of these mountains was becoming a routine experience.

Hoo hoo. Everybody stopped and looked to the skies. They hadn't seen the bird in a while and had to look closely through the pine canopy of the forest to spot it. Hoo hoo. The bird hadn't been getting their attention before, it seemed to not care about geography and tracks in the snow so this was probably a lot different.

Butterbrickle disappeared among the trees again leaving the trio to wonder what it was the bird had spotted just about 50 feet off of their current bearings. The trees obscured the vision at that range. Not a sound was heard and nothing moved.

Wallace
D6
D6

Posts : 101
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Mazzic on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:37 am

The short sleep, despite the somewhat dire circumstances, did the young Bryc wonders. After the gnome woke him he stared out into the valley and focused on the task ahead: finding their way to civilization, or whatever might pass for it in the mountains. It was his best chance of ensuring their survival and the fulfillment of his oath. For the moment, he could put aside the possible fates his family might have met.

Though he doubted he'd ever be a forester, Roland didn't find the wilderness to be as stark and hopeless as before. In fact, it was somewhat of a relief to be away from the pressures and constant fears of the castle and the war. Here was a struggle for survival, but against nature, which held no malice; and tthe only pressure was to keep moving, to stay vigilant, and to maybe earn the loyalty of Badger. After years of being The Heir this brief respite was welcome.

As the bird flew away into the woods, Roland turned to Ragnar and Badger whilst drawing Retribution. "Well, I suppose we might follow him?"

Mazzic
D4
D4

Posts : 80
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Dagnon on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:22 pm

Ragnar also felt somewhat defensive and drew his bow while grabbing an arrow from his quiver and held it at rest along the bow string.

"We will need some breakfast perhaps." The ranger thought as he kept a keen eye on the surrounding to see if a hare or some other creature that would serve as a decent meal, be it no or later in the day came into view.

"Agreed Roland." Ragnar said and started off towards the bird, hoping the intelligent creature would lead them in the right direction.

Dagnon
D6
D6

Posts : 126
Join date : 2015-06-08
Age : 35
Location : Whitefish, MT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by kabetts on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:25 pm

"Give me a second, I'll look to see what's over there."

Badger focused on Butterbrickle for a moment to see what he could see through the birds keen eyes.

kabetts
D6
D6

Posts : 113
Join date : 2015-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Wallace on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Warning: this post contains graphic scenes.

Badger's eyes went white just as he closed them and just a stone's throw away a spirit owl opened them. On the low-hanging branch of a pine tree, a brown woollen gown with some unmistakable Dwarvish runes embroidered in neat patters of yellow on the sleeve's edges. Smudges of red covered the entire gown as it waved like a torn banner in the wind. As the owl swivelled its head, the entire became visible to Badger which hit him like a punch in the stomach, leaving him barely standing on his knees without the aid of the young heir who grabbed his arm to hold him up.

Sticking out of the snow were the bloody gnawed bones of a person. The snow was red all over and trudged heavily into a muddy pulp. A dwarven woman's head lay severed in the snow staring up at the sky with mouth and eye sockets agape. One of her boots lay closeby while the other was stuck on the end of a tree limb. A handful of ravens pecked like carrion on the various remains scattered all over.

Wallace
D6
D6

Posts : 101
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by kabetts on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 am

Badger visibly paled at the sight of the dwarf. He released his concentration and blinked to clear his own vision, then rubbed his eyes.

"I was right, there are dwarves, but there's obviously something worse in these woods. We should go take a look, but be warned, it's a gruesome scene."

kabetts
D6
D6

Posts : 113
Join date : 2015-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Dagnon on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 am

Suddenly hunting was the least of his concerns as the gnome informed them of a gruesome scene at their destination. Still it was the best and closest place for them to find supplies and shelter, if they could make it safe.

"Prepare for battle Roland, you know the ways you have been taught, you are steel, you are rightous. We shall be victorious."

Ragnar put the bow away and drew his warhammer from the holding loop at his waist. The powerful device a favorite of his family, passed down for nearly two generations, the device showed it's wear, but continued to prove as reliable as any weapon that he had ever held.

Perception check

Dagnon
D6
D6

Posts : 126
Join date : 2015-06-08
Age : 35
Location : Whitefish, MT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by kabetts on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:33 pm

" Lead on my friends, but be wary, I didn't see anything around but it might have been hidden from my view."

kabetts
D6
D6

Posts : 113
Join date : 2015-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Mazzic on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:27 pm

It seemed most likely to Roland that they were somewhere in Embergard, given the presence of the Dwarf. The potential options that opened, the possibilities for his cause, receded for the moment however, as they had more immediate concerns. "The gods have yet to allow me to be cut down. I don't intend to see that changed today." He uttered a prayer to both the god of justice and the god of vengeance, touching the symbol that hung from a chain around his neck: a sword that's hilt turned into an oar, the wide end having a whole punched through it for the chain. Shield and sword at hand, he moved in the direction the owl had flown.

Mazzic
D4
D4

Posts : 80
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Wallace on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:04 am

Ragnar moved first through the woods, the snow crunching under his feet. He heard and saw little as he approached the scene. Only the occassional hooting of the owl guided him to his destination. Holding the hammer in one hand, he pushed away the pine needle branches with the other. When he came upon the scene, the ravens noticed him and all at once flew into the sky with loud caws.

Ragnar stumbled onto the scene first, feeling the mushy snow give way under his feet and seeing Roland wander around the site with dark clouds cast over his eyes and his mouth agape at the horror. Both of them were hardly useful at this rate and didn't look much further than the bones and blood which were spread quite some distance apart in the small clearing.

Badger was the first one to spot some tracks. This prompted Ragnar to abandon the heir of de Bryc family to his dulled senses and look for more tracks. He found them and kneeled down to investigate further. Bipedal, spaced widely, a few hours fresh. The tracks he was examining were the outgoing tracks and they seemed to be heading towards the clearing that the party themselves had wanted to go to. If he had to guess, these tracks were made by something like a giant, certainly not animal and certainly nothing smaller than ten feet tall.

Wallace
D6
D6

Posts : 101
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by kabetts on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Badger didnt really look at the scene, he'd seen more than enough of it already. Instead he looked around the edges of the area for some hint as to what had done it. When he found the tracks he was not surprised by their size, due to the clues they'd already come across.

"This doesn't bode well. Perhaps we should head elsewhere? If you're intent on protecting the heir, following whatever did this is probably the worst idea."

kabetts
D6
D6

Posts : 113
Join date : 2015-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Dagnon on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:49 pm

"You speak with insight Badger. We should move towards the smoke that we saw from our campsite perhaps?" Ragnar said, not facing his colleagues but scanning everything around them, waiting and hoping the devestating creature wouldn't turn and come to find them.

Devastation, that was the simplest word to describe what they were seeing and even that seemed to pale to describe it.

Dagnon
D6
D6

Posts : 126
Join date : 2015-06-08
Age : 35
Location : Whitefish, MT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Mazzic on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:45 pm

It took several moments for Roland to collect himself. He had seen some horrors during the war, but the seemingly casual brutality still affected him. He managed to be grateful, not concerned, that the other two seemed somewhat dispassionate about the grisly scene. "Let's not talk about me as if I'm not present, shall we? I am sensible enough to see a path not wisely taken." He looked about the wilderness, wondering exactly kind of enormous creatures inhabited the land. "I clearly should have studied the major fauna Azrahar was going on about several years ago. Let us perhaps move on swiftly?"

Mazzic
D4
D4

Posts : 80
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Dagnon on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:12 am

OOC: Damnit Jim, you're supposed to be the savior one and tell us we must find the monster and kill it! hahhaha

Ragnar turned and headed in a different direction, in the trees it was more difficult to get bearings, but years of tracking had given him an edge, at least he hoped.

OOC: Survival check to find way to smoke source

Dagnon
D6
D6

Posts : 126
Join date : 2015-06-08
Age : 35
Location : Whitefish, MT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Wallace on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:11 pm

It's the little things.

When surrounded by death, despair, a hopeless situation, humans find the things that they hold on to. The elven poet Kyano once wrote "the bell tolls lovely in round ears; and nothing to look to in short years." Ragnar moved past the ripped gown that hung in the tree still. What little wind that found its way down through the trees trifled with the shreds of the dwarven garment. Badger paid it no heed as he followed Ragnar but the young boy stood for a moment, his eye caught by the intricate embroidery on the edge of the sleeve. He held one sleeve up and mouthed the words as he recalled what little he remembered of the language. Hot iron is struck into tools and weapons, Roland took the other sleeve and continued the hammer is both life and death.

It rhymed in Dwarvish and was some sort of psalm to a dwarven god or ancestor. More than that he couldn't tell from it. The boy's attention was interrupted by the caw of a raven. Its eye trained on something in the snow and Roland followed it to see a finger with a ring. A cheap ring but one that looked a lot like his mother used to have. Roland remembered that they had to sell the jewelry, every penny needed for the war effort, but she refused to give up the ring that he had given her when they were still kids and in love. He remembered it on her finger when he had held her hand, a decade ago, in a cathedral. If someone found his mother like this, would he want them to walk away? To leave them as food for the carrion?

Just a few steps ahead of Roland the Brick-to-be, Badger began rubbing his chest feeling the beginnings of heartburn. He rubbed his chest through his jacket but the warmth on his chest was turning into actual burning. He slipped his hand under the hem of his jacket and felt that something was actually heating up and getting warmer by the second. His hands grabbed at the source and feeling his fingers burn he pulled an amulet from his chest and dropped it in the snow. It was the amulet he had once "borrowed" a long time ago from Azrahar and the elf hadn't put much effort into finding it. It had a weird long name that wasn't particularly catching. Now it lay glowing on the snow causing steam to rise and quickly disappearing below the surface. Badger quickly grabbed the string and held it up so he wouldn't lose the damn thing.

Another few steps ahead, Ragnar noticed a distinct lack of snow crunching behind him. He turned to see the gnome playing with his jewelry and the boy looking at the snow and the dwarven dress.

Wallace
D6
D6

Posts : 101
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Dagnon on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:13 pm

"We should not tarry long here friends. Whatever foul beast could do such a thing would not be kind to us." Ragnar said as he turned and beckoned the others to follow him, their curious stop something he wasn't as worried about as the immediate threat.

Dagnon
D6
D6

Posts : 126
Join date : 2015-06-08
Age : 35
Location : Whitefish, MT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by kabetts on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:19 am

OOC: does badger know what the amulet does? It's the magic item that he picked , right?

Badger looked up from the necklace as Ragnar spoke.
The amulet was hot but as long as he wore it over his cloths it shouldn't burn him. He put the string around his neck and tied it again.

"Sorry, Magic," he said, as if that explained everything. Then moved to where Ragnar was standing, prepared to begin their trek anew.



kabetts
D6
D6

Posts : 113
Join date : 2015-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Wallace on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:29 pm

OOC: Yes, it's the one you picked and yes he knows what it does.

Wallace
D6
D6

Posts : 101
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Mazzic on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:04 pm

The young de Bryc considered the scene before him again. What would his father or grandfather do? Did that even matter - both likely lay dead, their decisions meaning little now. Roland was torn, the weight of his oath and the weight of the grisly death before him sending his internal scales swinging. There is a giant or some other formidable beast here. Would the three of us be able to fell such a creature? What if it isn't alone? Would I be throwing my life and that of my companions' away to avenge a stranger found in the wilderness?

His oath was very clear: he would see those who had ruined his country and slaughtered his kin pay. But Roland had vowed to see wrongs righted more broadly as well - and if they were in Embergard, then this too was his land by ancient compact. And, if he was pragmatic, if he wanted more than simple vengeance, if he wanted to actually sit upon the throne, he would need allies. The Dwarves were a fractured people, but hardy and strong and loyal. Perhaps...perhaps he could fulfill his oath in slaying the murderous thing that has butched the Dwarf, providing retribution for the innocent and mayhap gaining some standing with the local clan.

Clenching his sword hilt he turned to look where the monster's tracks lead. "Ragnar. Badger. My vow is one that demands evil be punished, retribution or restitution made for the wrongs done. We will find this thing and slay it. And...whatever cut down this poor soul likely has shelter and perhaps even less...grisly...supplies hoarded wherever it calls home." With that he strode off in the wake the giant had left behind.

Mazzic
D4
D4

Posts : 80
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Dagnon on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:42 pm

"This is madness sire! What good can we do against something like that Roland? We should continue and gather ourselves, we can always find shelter and come back to avenge this atrocity, but now is not the time to run off and let the rage that fills us all overcome sensibility."

Ragnar was almost pleading with Roland, he could feel the bloodlust in the air, nature called for a wrong to be righted, but now was not the time, not when they had to protect the last heir to the throne....

Dagnon
D6
D6

Posts : 126
Join date : 2015-06-08
Age : 35
Location : Whitefish, MT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Mazzic on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:56 pm

He stopped and turned to face Ragnar, the last of those truly faithful to him. "I understand that this seems as madness perhaps, but what aid can we count on from gods or mortals if we let foul deeds go? Our losses do not justify such acts. Look at this!" he waved his free hand at the torn gown and bloodstained snow. "This is butchery Ragnar, just like what the Straw King and that dog Terram have done to our land and our house. If we cannot see justice for a lone dwarf in the wilderness, then how can we expect to see Marland free?"

Roland moved to place a cold hand on the other man's shoulder, "I have not been struct mad by grief. We will go and see what has committed these deed. And if it is beyond us, we shall do all we can to gather aid and return to slay it. But we must uncover what it is, and if possible, take its head for this butchering of innocence."

Mazzic
D4
D4

Posts : 80
Join date : 2015-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by kabetts on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Badger watched the men and his respect for the Bryc grew. He might eve grow into a man worth following someday.

"Well, if we're going hunting we might as well get to it. The sun won't wait for us to stand here bickering."

kabetts
D6
D6

Posts : 113
Join date : 2015-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Dagnon on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Duty and honor.

Two ideas that were diverging here.

Ragnar's sworn duty was to protect and see to the survival of his charge, but it was for the honor of a victim that his charge wanted to seek vengeance and find what had done such a foul thing to the poor soul.

"As you wish Roland."  Ragnar gave a slight bow to his liege and said no more, for Roland had spoken and he had a new task to follow, one that was now going to be more difficult.

"You cannot keep him from danger, only try to defend him from what evils find your own path."  He reminded himself and turned back to the carnage.

Ragnar tried to find and follow the tracks of the creature that had so devastated the dwarf.

Dagnon
D6
D6

Posts : 126
Join date : 2015-06-08
Age : 35
Location : Whitefish, MT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of Thin Air

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum